What is CustomCon, you ask? CustomCon is a special semi-annual presentation of new custom toy creations by customizers around the globe. Eight years in the running, it's still going strong. Inspired by the presentations of new product by legitimate manufacturers at Toy Fair and other trade shows, CustomCon is a "fake" convention, whereby customizers present their latest creations and recipes as if unveiling a new line of real toys to retailers. It's always a lot of fun, for both the viewers and the participants.
If this is your first exposure to a CustomCon, click here to see what's been offered over the past 21 CustomCons.
Day One - Monday - April 6
What If? Age of Apocalypse (second wave)
Day Two - Tuesday - April 7
The Original X-Men
Demigods of Egypt - Horus
The Terrible Trio
Marvel Legends DC Direct Style wave 4
Challenge of the Superfriends - The Justice League of America
Marvel Legends 2-Packs: Enemies of the State
Batman Movie Classics
Captain America Legends: Arnim Zola Series
Day Three - Wednesday - April 8
Total Justice Two Packs
Age of Apocalypse: X-Caliber
Secret Invasion: Skrulls Boxed Set
Marvel Legends Exclusive "PHOENIX PREVIEW"
Green Lantern Corps: Series VII
Gotham's D-List! Day One
LEGO Minifigure Borg Continuum
Challenge of the Superfriends - The Legion of Doom
Marvel Legends: Dark Reign
DC Comics Thrillkiller Series 5" Action Figures Batgirl and Robin
ToyBiz Classic X-Men 5" Figures
Day Four - Thursday - April 9
The Brothers Gruff
Marvel's The Good the Bad and the Ugly
The Films of Terry Gilliam
Hellboy - LCBH Exclusive
Agents of Destruction: The Greatest Agents, Spies, and Assassins of the Cinema
X Files Series 5" Action Figures
Marvel Legends Cap'n Hawk/Amphibian Two Pack
Day Five - Friday - April 10
Total Justice Classic JSA 5" Figures
The Munny Show (featuring the Interchangeable Worlds of the Micronauts) - Wave One
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (4" scale)
The Question 1:6 Scale Deluxe Collector Figure
Gotham's D-List! Day Two
Planet Hulk MiniMates
Masters of Eternia
Dark Knight 5" Batman Figures/Vehicles
Axel Stone from Streets of Rage
Total Justice Classic JSA 5" Figures
X-Men: AoA Chronicles
The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers
Avengers the Animated Series
Sillof's Mutant Academy
Scott Summers Legacy
Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern 2-Pack
Savage Land Face-Off Zabu & Ultra-raptor
DC Universe Removable Mask Bane / Bruce Wayne Batman
CustomCon 22 will run from April 6 to 10, 2009.
The deadline will be Monday March 9th, 2009. No entries will be accepted after this date.
So how can you participate? Well, the key is to make several custom action figures that would be in the same toy line, and send in photos of them. You could make your own new wave of DC Direct figures (a current series), a new wave of Star Trek figures (a previous series). You can also make a line of Super-Duper Creep Busting figures! (That would be your own unique line.) You could make figures based on characters from Comics, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Sports, Sci-Fi... The sky's the limit!
1. Just make sure each group of figures shares a common theme. You should come up with a name for your line of figures if it's an original line, and give some sort of description of the action figure line.
2. Custom packaging is, of course, an option, but it is certainly not required.
3. If possible, we would ask that you photograph the figures so that it looks like they are on display at a convention. If you have custom packaging, it's best to have pictures both loose and in the packages.
4. There's no limit on how few customs you have to submit for a line. 4 or more would be appreciated, but any number is fine. So, YES if you only have 1 or 2 good figures, send them in!
5. The whole point of CustomCon is to show off your NEW custom creations, so please, no entries of pieces previously seen on websites, forums or in any sort of public gallery.
Ready to Submit your ENTRY?
Send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail the following:
- Your first and last name, or just the nickname you go by online. Your preference.
- Your email address.
- Your custom figure website address, if you have one.
- The name of your figure line.
- Any custom logos you wish to use for your toyline. (OPTIONAL)
- E-mail me pictures of your figures. JPGs are preferred, scaled for screen. (7 inches high at 72 dpi is a good standard, or around 100 kb). Please make sure your images are ATTACHED to the email, NOT embedded. Remember to name your image files appropriately. You may know every X-Man ever created by sight, but we might not.
- A description of what they were made from (your toy recipe). Describe what figures you used to make your custom. Please type, or "copy & paste" this into an e-mail.
- A Description of the action figure line (convention write-up report).
- Write up your own "Press release" or "Toy Show Commentary" to describe your toyline. Please type, or "copy & paste" this into an e-mail.
- UPDATE ON JANUARY 18: the tech glitch is all fixed! Go ahead and submit away!
We appreciate you helping to spread the word about CustomCon. Would you like to link to CustomCon 22 on your web site?
Here is a logo you can use. (For bandwidth reasons, images hosted on our server won't show up on any web site other than RTM. Please "right click" on the image and then choose from the menu to save the image to your hard drive and then upload it to your site's server.)
Take me back to Custom Central!