Handheld Sega Games at McDonald's
OAKBROOK, Ill., June 23 -- The popular Sonic The Hedgehog(R) and Super Monkey Ball(TM) characters from SEGA(R) will bring the excitement of video gaming to McDonald's(R) Happy Meals from June 27, 2003 through July 24, 2003. An industry first, six different, interactive electronic handheld Happy Meal(R) games will provide hours of playtime fun and mark the first time a quick-service retailer has offered this advanced technology to consumers.
"By teaming up with SEGA, McDonald's has been able to elevate the Happy Meal experience to the next level. Featuring innovative technology and characters kids love, these Happy Meal games provide our guests with the hottest characters, gaming adventures and toys on the market today," said Karlin Linhardt, senior director, McDonald's Kids and Family Marketing. "Perfect for summer family trips or challenges with friends, McDonald's is excited to offer our guests these one-of-a-kind playtime experiences."
Six unique gaming experiences, featuring Sonic The Hedgehog and friends
and Super Monkey Ball's AiAi, have been specially designed for kid-sized hands and motor skills. The six Sega games include:
- Sonic The Hedgehog Speedway -- Gamers are challenged to move Sonic The Hedgehog back and forth around the racetrack without running into anything.
- Shadow Grinder -- Help Shadow maneuver around cracks and jump over breaks as he skateboards down a tricky rail.
- Knuckles Soccer -- Gamers are faced with a soccer challenge from Eggman, in which they help Knuckles dive back and forth and block goals.
- Sonic The Hedgehog Action Game -- Launch Sonic The Hedgehog up and down over platforms on an adventure to collect rings and make it safely through the obstacle course challenge.
- AiAi Banana Catch -- Bananas are falling from the sky and AiAi needs help moving back and forth to collect as many bananas as possible.
- Tails Sky Patrol -- Join Sonic The Hedgehog's friend, Tails, as he flies through the sky trying to collect rings.
"The characters of the Sonic The Hedgehog and Super Monkey Ball franchises are some of the most recognizable icons in video games today," said Mike Fischer, vice president of marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "This relationship with McDonald's allows SEGA to bring our most popular video game characters to a new generation of kids with this first-time-ever premium."
The highly anticipated McDonald's SEGA Happy Meal games will be available June 27, 2003 - July 24, 2003 at participating McDonald's restaurants nationwide, while supplies last.
The Happy Meal event will be supported by national television advertising developed by Leo Burnett Co. and Hispanic television and print advertising by dRM DDB.
McDonald's is the leading global foodservice retailer with more than
29,000 restaurants serving nearly 46 million people in 119 countries each day. Approximately 80 percent of McDonald's restaurants worldwide are owned and operated by independent, local businessmen and women.
SEGA(R) of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Corporation, a $3.5 billion corporation by market capitalization, recognized as a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America's Web site is located at www.sega.com.