Toys'R'Us Opening 21 New Stores in 2011
Toys"R"Us, Inc. to Open 21 New Locations With Toys"R"Us® and Babies"R"Us® Under One Roof This Year, Bringing One-Stop Shopping Destinations To Customers Nationwide
The World's Leading Dedicated Toy and Juvenile Products Retailer is Also Renovating 23 Existing Stores as It Continues Its Ongoing Integrated Store Strategy that Combines Two Trusted Brands
WAYNE, N.J., Aug. 23, 2011 -- Toys"R"Us, Inc. today announced that by the end of the year it will have opened 21 new stores in 2011, including 11 "R" Superstores and 10 Side-by-Side locations, offering more convenient, one-stop shopping destinations to fulfill the needs of children of all ages. These new stores across 13 states are representative of the company's strategy to bring Toys"R"Us® and Babies"R"Us® together under one roof in an integrated store format, providing customers with a streamlined shopping environment that is easy to navigate and showcases the company's exclusive brand product offerings. As part of an ongoing effort to upgrade the company's portfolio of stores nationwide, the remodeling of 23 existing locations to the Side-by-Side format is also underway and will be completed by the end of the year. In adding 21 new stores and renovating 23 existing locations, the company will create more than 1,100 jobs across the country.
"Integrating Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us under one roof has been part of the company's strategy for the past five years and customers continue to embrace the enhanced shopping experience these stores offer," said Jerry Storch, Chairman and CEO, Toys"R"Us, Inc. "The Side-by-Side store format provides exceptional convenience for parents, offering a wide selection of differentiated toys and juvenile products, and allows the company to cultivate customer loyalty as their children grow and they transition from Babies"R"Us to Toys"R"Us shoppers."
Toys"R"Us, Inc. embarked on its integrated store strategy in 2006, and since then has converted more than 100 traditional stores in the United States to the Side-by-Side format. In 2007, the company opened the first of its new "R" Superstores, which feature full-size Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us stores under one roof and are approximately 60,000 square feet. By the end of 2011, the company will operate 43 "R" Superstores nationwide. Further expanding on the success of the integrated store format, in 2010 the company opened its first ground-up Side-by-Side locations. Through the execution of its integrated store strategy, Toys"R"Us, Inc. has updated many of its existing locations by renovating both the stores' interiors and exteriors. Concurrently, in some markets it has also allowed the company to relocate older stores to new sites in the current center of retail activity in that area. Stores began opening this year in April and will continue opening through October, just in time for the holiday shopping season.
This year, Toys"R"Us, Inc. is opening new, integrated format stores in the following locations:
- Birmingham, AL*
- Huntsville, AL*
- North Phoenix, AZ
- Buena Park, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Indio, CA
- Puente Hills, CA
- West Covina, CA*
- Thornton, CO
- Waterford Lakes, FL*
- Smyrna, GA*
- South Eglin, IL*
- Baton Rouge, LA*
- Northborough, MA*
- Minnetonka, MN*
- Woodbridge, NJ*
- Spartanburg, SC
- Austin, TX*
- Cedar Hill Plaza, TX
- Dallas Galleria, TX
- Southlake, TX
A Foundation in Sustainable Building
As a company committed to being a good neighbor in the communities it serves, Toys"R"Us, Inc. has implemented a number of sustainable initiatives that conserve energy, minimize waste, reduce its stores' overall impact on the environment and diminish the company's carbon footprint today and for years to come. New and renovated "R"Us locations include a combination of the following sustainable features:
- A state-of-the-art Energy Management System (EMS) that monitors environmental conditions and adjusts temperature, lighting and CO2 levels throughout the store in order to utilize natural light and reduce energy consumption
- A custom daylight harvesting system, which includes a number of design components, such as skylights, cutting-edge dimmable fixtures and lighting sensors that reduce up to 50% of electric lighting energy used during the day
- Energy efficient Light Emitting Diode (LED) fixtures in outdoor signage instead of florescent signage, which increase energy savings and reduce toxic materials and maintenance costs
- Low-flow water closets and urinals and automatic faucets and flush valves, which conserve water
- High efficiency automatic hand dryers that use 80% less energy than standard hand dryers while eliminating the need for paper towel products and therefore lessening the impact on landfills
- A cardboard baler that facilitates recycling and reduces the impact on landfills
- Low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) paint and floor adhesive are used during construction because they produce little odor during application and no lingering odor once cured
- A vestibule entry way system that reduces the amount of outside contaminants being tracked into the store interior, while helping to improve indoor air quality
- White reflective roof that significantly reduces the amount of heat absorbed by the building which, in turn, reduces the building's energy requirement for cooling
About Toys"R"Us, Inc.
Toys"R"Us, Inc. is the world's leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, offering a differentiated shopping experience through its family of brands. Merchandise is sold in 874 Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us stores in the United States, and in more than 520 international stores and over 200 licensed stores in 34 countries and jurisdictions. In addition, it exclusively operates the legendary FAO Schwarz brand and sells extraordinary toys in the brand's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York City. With its strong portfolio of e-commerce sites including Toysrus.com, Babiesrus.com, eToys.com and FAO.com, it provides shoppers with a broad online selection of distinctive toy and baby products. Headquartered in Wayne, NJ, Toys"R"Us, Inc. employs approximately 70,000 associates worldwide. The company is committed to serving its communities as a caring and reputable neighbor through programs dedicated to keeping kids safe and helping them in times of need.