Packsize: Right-Sized Packaging on Demand
RTM note/disclaimer: we saw this press release and thought it was interesting, but thought it was even more interesting that one of our sponsors (Big Bad Toy Store) was mentioned and quoted.
SALT LAKE CITY, June 7, 2011 -- By adopting a lean centralized approach to packaging, many businesses see their green supply chain investments generate returns in terms of market success and cost performance. Such was the case with Big Bad Toy Store co-owner Dan Boblit, who six months ago had 60 to 80 box sizes in inventory when he heard about Packsize's Right-sized Packaging on Demand™ system, which according to Boblit, "sounded too good to pass up."
Boblit's worldwide online toy store operation replaced that box inventory with a Packsize machine and three sizes of corrugated to custom make each box for every order.
"By designing a production line around the Packsize machine, we increased product throughput to result in more orders completed with less labor, reduced product damage, and cut down on waste significantly," said Boblit. "All around it was a very good decision for us."
"Many customers find that implementing our system focuses attention on the process details, strips away wasted movement, and identifies and standardizes best practices," said Packsize CEO Hanko Kiessner.
Among Packsize's top five reasons for adopting technology-enabled box production are:
1. Reduces customers' consumption of packaging materials since using the smallest possible box eliminates the unnecessary use of standard box sizes and the requisite fillers.
2. Provides for zero stock-outs and eliminates obsolete box inventory since any box is available anytime and can be made as needed.
3. It takes less space to make boxes than to store boxes; as little as 100 square feet of floor space with a Packsize system.
4. Even with the capital cost of the machinery factored into the corrugated price, Right-sized Packaging on Demand is an inexpensive way to supply boxes. Warehousing programs, just-in-time delivery, and vendor-managed inventory programs all add significant cost to the price per square foot of packaging.
5. And, although a bit counterintuitive, the time required to make packaging on demand is less than the time required to find and move packaging purchased conventionally. Factor in the time to plan inventory levels, address stock-outs, and manage weekly visits by the vendor and the time savings are significant.
For more information on Right-sized Packaging on Demand, visit www.packsize.com.
About Packsize International LLC
Founded in 2002, Packsize International LLC is the world's leading provider of lean packaging systems for businesses with complex corrugated packaging needs. Packsize delivers an alternative to the existing corrugated supply chain with "Right-sized Packaging on Demand®" which eliminates the need for large inventories of pre-ordered cardboard boxes, reducing the packaging "footprint," and trimming work content required for boxing and shipping. For more information, visit www.packsize.com.
©2011 Packsize is a registered trademark and Right-sized Packaging on Demand a trademark of Packsize International LLC in the United States and other countries. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.